Sunday, June 26, 2011

Vegetarian Times Picnic Sandwich

The last time I went on a picnic, I greeted with a vast array of foods based on two main ingredients - mayo and/or salt. It gets to 100 plus degrees here in Houston on a regular basis. Mayo based recipes are not safe here and I will not eat them - I've never understood why they are a mainstay of the picnic anyway as they are so often the cause of much digestive distress later on. Salt just makes me more thirsty (besides being not particularly good for my blood pressure), so I try to avoid that too. Between the mayo, salt, mosquitoes, and oppressive heat I did not have a particularly great time. I did eat a real nice multi-bean salad. But how many beans can you eat and call it a meal? This sandwich from Vegetarian Times was awesome. Easy to make, no mayo, and I could make it the day before because it was a good thing that the juices soaked into the bread! Win! A most mindful sandwich indeed.

Vegetarian Times Picnic Sandwich


Serves 6
 
1 small eggplant, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch
slices
1 small zucchini, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch 
Click here for more from Vegetarian Times!
slices
1 small yellow squash, cut length-wise into 1/4-inch slices
3 Tbs. olive oil, divided
1 large loaf ciabatta bread, halved
1/3 cup prepared pesto
1/3 cup prepared tapenade
2 jarred roasted red peppers, sliced
1 8-oz. pkg. fresh mozzarella, drained and sliced
2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar

For the rest of the directions, click here! Many thanks to the nice mindful folks at Vegetarian Times for allowing me to post this recipe!

3 comments:

  1. Man this sandwich is fantastic. Will also keep it in mind for a take along lunch item for work. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds similar to the Oregano’s Restaurant veggie sandwich Yum

    ReplyDelete
  3. making it a do ahead lunch sandwich is a super idea!

    How wonderful to have a restaurant nearby that makes a sandwich this good!

    ReplyDelete